Partner study description
A prospective study designed to identify molecular markers of antimalarial drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum in Yola, Nigeria. Objectives of the study are:
- To detect clinically significant genes associated with antimalarial drug resistance in Plasmodium falciparum using dried blood spot (DBS) samples
- To calculate the parasite density in patients who are malaria rapid diagnostic test (RDT) positive
- To determine the rate of malaria infection among febrile patients presenting to the hospital
- To determine if an infection comprises additional species of Plasmodium, such as P. vivax, P. malariae, P. ovale, and P. knowlesi
- To assess the use of malaria control interventions.